Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pivotfest...library on the move

Ms Lindy ready for action! 
Another week down, another week of exploring new territories as a Librarian on the MOVE!   With a "basecamp" at PGWEST--(former Catholic school renovated for our grade 7) and a parking spot for Ms Lindy the bookmobile, I'm carving a path for the program that I want to  efficient, positive AND high impact for ALL.

Book selection at the HS
Books at Minoa Elem-grade 6
Current Event Friday with gr 8










A few WOOHOOOs into the initial voyage--the weather has been AWESOME....something about bopping between schools while the sky is blue, the sun is warm, and the roads are clear is INSPIRATIONAL....the thought of doing the same in the middle of January in Syracuse is more of a mojo-buster...but for now...making connections across our "school campus" is starting to work.  I've met so many new colleagues (didn't realize how many people in our district I just had never met after 10 years in!);  I'm engaging with kids who are sitting criss-cross applesauce to students preparing portfolios for college; beautiful picture books to historical memoirs; touch pad games to 3D design programming; lined up with a line leader hands to the side to young adults sporting earbuds and slouch bags.


setting up Google Drive with 8th 
Science research/EasyBib
My professional priorities have ranged from those highly intelligent skills we learn in library school coursework to other "go-tos" in my toolbox that I'm pretty sure were mastered when I first started playing with a dollhouse.  I've been immersed in developing research portals and pathfinders for various projects; exposing students to peer reviewed journals, current events, and rigorous reads; teaching kids the best way to cite quality sources and curate credible research....

Need these?
Kids STILL want to browse;
this set up isn't working (3 had to leave
the other day so I could get to the phone :)
On the other side of the coin, I'm trying to find a way to set up our little "library-ette" to make it look homey yet professional, functional yet well stocked, cozy yet impressive.....but my first 22 decorating set ups have NOT achieved any of the above!   So...the mission continues this week....I swear this SMALL room is more work than a LARGE space..is that POSSIBLE?  :0


We must create more practical space that balances space for books and space for humans (and mobile tech)...we'll bring some solace to our grade 7 area....we'll store MORE at the HS Library and rotate the collection to keep things fresh;  Ms Lindy's collection will rotate as well and we'll improve our balance of FICTION and NONFICTION (kids ask for BOTH, yet I leaned too heavy on the fiction though I knew that)...more title promotions, booktalks, visible displays...use of hallway tvs for ads, teasers, etc (temp tech issue on this concept--soon to be resolved I hope)

Have enjoyed MANY inspirational conversations about "what if....how about....you know what we COULD do...." and intentionally seek out that kind of thinking....others are "stuck" in the "glass half empty" mode and where possible, I'm intentionally investing less time in this thinking (influential as it can be)....


Coming up this week--2 road trips with MsLindy for book selection and outdoor read time; 6th grade collaboration for class novel; several necessary tech transitions/upgrades, Symbaloo/Pearltrees training, iStaff  prep, QR codes promos, and development of our outdoor work area !   Also in the works--library card sign up promos with RePete, +Twitter training for teachers, Food Truck unit with FACS, pumpkin delivery from a community friend, STEAMship LitMobile prep, iStaff rollout, and a trip to the MudBoils....yes I do have the greatest job ever!

I'm in full PIVOT mode....how about you?













No comments:

Post a Comment