Saturday, September 6, 2014

A Parrott, an RV, & a Collapsible wagon

Happy Saturday!

In my Central NY world, this has been the first week of school for all of us....varying start times but the first week is definitely in the books.   Some of you in other parts of the country are planning prom and graduation ceremonies I think...or maybe not yet.

Thinking out of the box has never been in an issue for me....what's new for me is not having my own sandbox in which to play!   Our transition from a large, open library space in one school with rich integration across the curriculum to a shared spaces in 5 schools and a small room in the 6th is off to a powerful start.  (temporary renovation plan--new building coming in 2 years!)

My first goal was to create a small, homey library-ette that would be the go-to place in the 7th grade school which has no official library.  I believed establishing a strong library presence there was a high priority.

First, I opted for a podium style desk area for me--I prefer to stand and it takes less room. I set up a computer (currently a desktop--laptop soon to replace I am hearing)....even added scanner for check out....motivational screen saver...calendar on the wall..pencil cup....and feeling of so official.  Look at me go....

Secondly I added some shelves (the kind you can build IN the room a must due to small doorway at weird angle); through in a small folding table and couple of fold up chairs and voila...adorable, right?    Table even had a checker board on it--gaming potential!  

Not at all...the shelves started tipping a little at a time and had more of a "Pisa" style than an "academic though petite" style (dangerous and unsettling to watch)....when I added the carts (which I need for delivering books to various locations)...the table and chairs had to be folded up....giving it more of a back room of a layaway department look....so...down came the shelves...I put the table and chairs in my car (for now) and all the books are on standard library carts which are in dire need of a "pimp my ride" plan...  they are organized by.....ok they are not...

I inherited 2-tall/thin (in that lovely industrial beige color) metal storage cabinets....which gives me closed storage for a minor collection of "non book stuff" and a magnetic wall of sorts....a functional/ugly solution...maybe someday I will paint them? or not....

I brought in enough mini-baskets to start my own company and started genrefying...first 3 customers said they hate looking in the baskets...niiice :)   "even when they are in school colors, I said?"   Baskets are stacked in the corner..just in case...books back to carts

As part of plan to increase virtual connections/access...finally moved to google calendar published on-line, a book request form, and a collaboration request form....will continue to promote and celebrate when that has become a routine/viable solution... Starting with this...will always be building on this LibGuide and promoting it as an option.  Off to a slow start but am hopeful...still getting many emails/notes about requests...so however it happens, it's all good!

For 2 days, teachers sent kids my way--like old times...picture me, 6 carts of books, 2 cabinets, and 5-6 teenagers in a "browsing" setting...I was at first annoyed, embarrassed, sad--not sure--as it was not really the "experience" I strive to create...

BUT....not one complaint (other than the baskets and mine as I have about .3 cm for my mouse IF I also want to use keyboard :)....kids talked about books, told me about what they were reading, did read, wanted to read.....kids reassured me that "we would be fine and not to worry"...Trevor even asked if he could stay and read for a while like he did last year...I almost teared up....gave him my stool to "curl up on" and he immersed himself for about 20 minutes in his book...out of that office on days 2 and 3 of the school year, I connected with about 50 students....

One round came during a time when I was at another school (new world for me)...and my new neighbor--the speech pathologist....assisted each student, wrote down check out info, and said they left happy....

I knew Friday would be a big "let the kids all get a book day" and I always love that beginning of the year frenzy....you can't have a frenzy in a closet...SOOOO... time for Ms Lindy--the RV my husband and I purchased with  "I Love My librarian" Award I won a few years ago (and our own funds--no district $$ used) ...with District OK...I could use it as a supplement to our program with details to be ironed out....we named her MsLindy (follow on twitter @MsLindymobile)


Friday was READFEST--a few quick flyers, emails, FB/Twitter updates (and an amazing weather forecast) we took the library to the South Lawn of the 7th grade school and enjoyed book browsing, outdoor reading (lawnchairs and blankets), school supply giveaway (a friend donated), doorprizes for 2 lucky winners (donated)--checked out over 150 books and made a lot of people smile!  Repete the Parrot--our new library mascot--even made an appearance (despite the 90 degree weather!)

We took book requests, kids shared ideas about "what next", got several bookings set up for other literacy promos at our other schools...

We are #onaroll (pun intended)....I loved seeing former students while I worked at the HS library...met new 6th graders at one elem school, and even established a plan to collaborate with the Pre-K building library....

To quote my friends the Carpenters, we've only just begun...got a new collapsible red wagon in my trunk, a bookmobile in the parking lot, students who are up for the journey ahead, and a community of partners who will make great things happen!   











2 comments:

  1. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include.
    folding wagons

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have premium folding wagons to suit every purpose.
    folding wagon

    ReplyDelete