Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Limitless possibilities & missed opportunities

Spotted this sky a few weeks ago between sites; decided it was a symbolic reminder to see the BLUE sky among the DARKER clouds :)   


I've always viewed the school library as a place of "limitless possibilities".... the resources, the connections, the space, the programs, the staff, the books, the technology, the leadership--together a strong school library can work magic.

When we started planning for our temporary "digs" for the 2 year renovation of our building, I thought the only thing that might change would be the lack of physical space....I didn't expect to feel like we were starting from scratch...and that's where I'm at right now....and the feeling is disheartening.

In a positive way, I've been empowered to figure out the best way to deliver the program for our students located in 6 locations.  Collaboration, cooperative plans, shared expertise, and maximizing each other's talents have been key components of our embedded library program (in and OUT of the library)....and still are...but now we also have to figure in limited face time to plan, travel time between locations, sparse physical space in one school for planning or working, and 6 different time schedules that might it hard to designate times at different buildings.

Now, instead of seeing limitless possibilities, I'm seeing missed opportunities and am struggling with how to move forward to have the highest impact.

Though I continue to explore partnerships and instructional opportunities, I'm finding my time is sporadic rather than consistent, disjointed rather than focused, and I'm involved with surface coverage rather than immersed instruction.

Yes, I've connected students to literature, teachers to resources (libguides),  worked on grants, explored new strategies and tools, aligned with District initiatives, participated in committees, and have remained in engaged in professional learning.

But, wherever I "land" for the day, morning, or afternoon is a missed opportunity at another location (especially in the one building where there is no librarian/library).

I'm not clueless, I know these "part time" structures go on (unfortunately) all over the country and we know it's less than ideal.   But I am in a District that has been SUPPORTIVE of libraries and I feel like I'm not meeting expectations in our current structure.

As I move forward, I have to make some choices about priorities, best use of my leadership and expertise, and ways to have impact through the library despite the limitations with space, time, and routine.

Conceptually, I know we can get where we need to go.  Realistically, however, I have to hit some issues head on to and find the best way to balance the time, miles, resources, and overall role of the program.

I'm still all about "lemons to lemonade" just right now I'm finding lots of seeds in my batch and it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

So, onward and upward.....advice welcome!     Some happy moments on our road to figuring it out!








No comments:

Post a Comment